Monday, December 9, 2013
2015 FEVER: Atiku Abubakar's Posters Infest Abuja
9 December, 2013
Abuja - The 2015 Presidential election fever manifested itself once again on Sunday, December 8, as posters depicting former Vice President Atiku Abubakar appeared in Nigeria's capital, Abuja.
Alhaji Atiku Abubakar was a two-term Vice President to ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo from 1999 to 2007.
The placards are sponsored by the Turaki Network of Change (TNC), and the inscription reads, "inspired by Change, Turaki Network for Change, TNC Atiku Abubakar GCON (Turaki Adamawa). Bigger Challenges, Greater Opportunities."
The posters adorned major overhead and pedestrian bridges, and walls by the roadsides, notably along the Umaru Yar'Adua way which leads to Abuja's Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport.
Mr. Abubakar is yet to declare his intention to run as a candidate for the 2015 Presidential election where he would compete against the incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan. It will be recalled that Atiku is currently a member of the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
On August 31, 2013, Atiku led a procession of six Northern governors out of Special National Convention of PDP at the Eagles' Square venue, to later address the press at the Yar'Adua Centre, with Alhaji Abubakar Baraje as Chairman, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola as Secretary and Sam Sam Jaja as Deputy National Chairman of the now-defunct new PDP.
In September, in what political analysts consider as a 2015 posturing move by Atiku, he, along with PDP Board of Trustees Chairman Tony Anenih, Alhaji Shaibu Oyedokun, Mrs Titi Ajanaku, among others, formed the Peoples Democratic Movement (PDM) group. The group was registered by the Independent National Electoral Commission as a political party. Following the registration of PDM, the former Vice President never showed himself as a member.
Mr. Abubakar has previously contested for the presidential office as a PDP candidate in 2011, but was defeated by President Goodluck Jonathan who gained 78% of the votes.
In 2006, Atiku Abubakar also emerged as the Presidential candidate, but lost the battle.
His posters were earlier seen along the Nyanya-Maraba-Abuja road with the inscription "The Alternative Candidate For 2015".
Do you support Atiku's contesting in 2015? Do you see him as an alternative to President Goodluck Jonathan? Why?
RELATED ARTICLE: Nigeria On The Way To Democracy - Atiku
RELATED ARTICLE: nPDP /APC Merger, A Great And Positive Step - Atiku
Posted by ocho4god.com at 6:12 AM
'I Don’t Take Orders From Patience Jonathan' – Mbu
9 December, 2013
Rivers State Commissioner of Police, Mbu Joseph Mbu, has declared that he does not take orders from the First Lady, Patience Jonathan.
According to him, he does not have to agree with Rivers State Governor, Rotimi Amaechi, at all times as he is a police officer, who must protect everybody, regardless of position or status.
Mbu spoke to newsmen in Abuja on Friday after a meeting with the Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission, NHRC, Ben Angwe.
Recall that the Commission had invited him to explain his side of the story based on a petition written to it by Amaechi. The governor himself appeared at the NHRC office a few weeks ago.
The police boss said “All the allegations against me are not true. I speak with the governor everyday. If you check my phone, you will see that I called him four times yesterday (Wednesday). We are in working agreement.
“The problem is that the enemies of the governor are not my enemies, because I am a police officer, my job is to protect everybody.
“I am not at loggerheads with the governor, except that I am a professional officer and I know my job and I do what is right,” he said.
On the allegation that he takes instruction from the First Lady, Mbu stated, “How can I take instruction from the First Lady? I take instruction from the IG, who is my boss. I don’t even have access to the President and I don’t want to”.
On the withdrawal of some of Amaechi’s aides, Mbu said there was a circular that was passed, stating the number of police that should be with a public officer, “and if anybody has more than that, I should withdraw it”.
Earlier, Prof. Ben Angwe, had stated that Mbu’s invitation was not an indictment, but an opportunity for fair hearing.
He assured that the Commission will be fair, impartial and will not submit to pressure from any quarters in carrying out its duties.
RELATED ARTICLE: Amaechi Accuses State CP Of Human Rights Abuse, Insubordination
Source: Daily Post
If you see an error please highlight it and press Ctrl+EnterPrint version
Posted by ocho4god.com at 2:44 AM
We Are Working To Identify Boko Haram External Sponsors - BY President Jonathan.
9 December, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan has said that his administration is working assiduously on some available clues to identify the external sponsors of the fundamentalist Islamic sect, Boko Haram.
He said the recent large scale attack in parts of Maiduguri, Borno State, including the Air Force Base, had further confirmed the government’s suspicion that the sect enjoyed international backing.
He spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria and France 24 Radio at the close of a two-day summit on peace and security in Africa, hosted by President Francois Hollande in France on Saturday.
Jonathan, who said the insurgents arrived in Maiduguri with between 15 and 20 vehicles, each mounted with rocket launchers,added that he had approved N1bn for the rehabilitation of detention camps of insurgents across the country.
He stated that Nigeria was seeking the collaboration of friends of the nation to unravel the foreign sponsors of the insurgents.
The President said, “We believe that a lot of assistance is coming (to the sect) from outside the country.
“We have not been able to pin down the sources and that is why we are talking to our friends that we should collectively work together to identify the source of their funding.
“A terror on any part of the world is a terror on all of us.”
Jonathan said Maiduguri attack clearly showed that the sect’s operations had gone beyond its classification as a local militia group.
“Initially, we felt that they were local and as such, some people advocated that because of poverty, these locals carried weapons against the State. So you expect that sophistication will be minimal and you will be able to contain it easily.
“But looking at the calibre of weapons they have, you will find out that they have gone beyond the local expectation. For instance, this last attack on Maiduguri, they came with about 15 to 20 Hilux vehicles and each mounted with two to four rocket launchers.
“They were over 100 and some of them were carrying assault rifles and other weapons. The question then is that, where do they get the weapons? Definitely, these weapons cannot come from the locals, they are coming from somewhere.’’
He said while military operations would continue in the affected parts of the county in order to protect lives and property, his administration had not foreclosed the option of dialogue with the sect .
Jonathan also said he approved the release of the N1bn for the upgrade of insurgents detention camps in response to a series of complaints by local and international human rights groups.
He said the development would ensure that detainees were kept under normal human conditions.
Specifically, the President said he was concerned over a human rights report on the situation of Giwa Barracks where some of the detainees were kept.
The President added, “They were talking about some conditions in the barracks and because of that, not quite long, I released N1bn to make sure that they expand the facilities in detention camps, particularly the camp in Giwa Barracks that they complained about.
“Boko Haram members that have been arrested are being detained in a number of places and not only Giwa Barracks.
“Following complaints that I received about that particular barracks, I called the Chief of Defence Staff to go and use the army engineers to quickly expand and improve the facilities so that people arrested will live under normal human conditions.”
Jonathan however added that the reports of human rights abuses by the Joint Military Task Force were grossly exaggerated.
He attributed most of the cases of torture and killings the military is being blamed for to the sect.
“The issue of human rights abuses is blown out of proportion. Whenever they have a major encounter, Boko Haram destroys at will, they kill at will, some of these destructions that are being ascribed to the Nigerian Army are actually done by the Boko Haram sect,’’ he said.
The President said that the state of emergency declared in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states had helped tremendously in restoring sanity.
He recalled that before the emergency rule, even the Federal Capital Territory was not safe having had its share of terrorist acts with attacks carried out on the United Nations building, the police headquarters, a military market and a newspaper house.
He said the nation had now reached a point that the challenges were now in Borno and Yobe states.
“Even Adamawa , the third state that the emergency rule covers, within this period, there are no issues unlike before that there were repeated killings and bombings.
“Though, we are still having this issue of occasional attacks, but definitely, the emergency rule has helped,’’ he said.
The President also said he had yet to receive a comprehensive report on a French priest that was kidnapped in Northern Cameroon and reported to have been taken to Nigeria.
“No comprehensive information yet on this. But what we know is that it is quite worrisome that the issue of commercial hostage-taking is now a global business. Though, we got the information, but I cannot give any categorical statement. But, we know that the tradition of hostage-takers is mobility because when they are being tracked, they move,” he added.
The 42-year-old Priest, Georges Vandenbeusch, was reportedly kidnapped on Thursday near Koza, in Northern Cameroon.
Meanwhile, the Bishop of the Diocese of Osun North East, Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion), Rt. Revd. Humphrey Olumakaiye, has urged security agencies and people living in the Southern part of the country to be vigilant.
Olumakaiye told one of our correspondents in Otan Ayegbaju, Osun State that the onslaught against the Boko Haram in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states could force its members to migrate southwards.
He said, “The security agencies and everybody, especially in the South-South , the South-West and the South-East should be vigilant. Those who had been dislodged might want to migrate southwards to continue wreaking havoc..
“Nobody ever thought that suicide bombing could come to Nigeria, but here we are now living with suicide bombers.”
The military has been finding it difficult to flush out members of the Boko Haram sect in the North-East because no matter the security, you can’t defeat people who are ready to die.”
Source: Punch Nigeria
If you see an error please highlight it and press Ctrl+EnterPrint version
- Boko Haram, Goodluck Jonathan, Government News
- France, Nigeria
- Boko, Maiduguri
- Borno state, Niger
Posted by ocho4god.com at 2:30 AM